We've spent the past few days in Boise. We had a great time visiting friends and playing with cousins. We also caught a few girls state basketball games. Our real purpose for the trip was the Invention Convention. At Megan's last school she had the most wonderful science teacher, Mrs.Dobbs. Mrs.Dobbs encourages students to invent. She holds an invention convention at the elementary school. Although, Megan goes to a different school, Mrs.Dobbs let her participate because we're in the same school district. The invention convention is optional for students. 15 of those inventions are chosen by judges to go to the regional invention convention at Boise State. There are 5 different invention categories and are group by grades (1st & 2nd together, 3rd & 4th together, etc.). The top three inventions in each category & grade goes to a state invention convention at the Boise Discovery Center. To our surprise Megan's invention was awarded 1st place in the adaptation category! We were all very excited! Megan said after 3rd & 2nd place was announced she didn't think her invention would be chosen. When her name was read she was ecstatic! Instead of trying to explain her invention, I've tried posting a video but I'm having troubles (I'll keep working on it). We were very proud of her. I had to hold back the tears when her name was called. Megan has been blessed with a talent of learning. She really did most of this project on her own. I wish I was as smart as her. We'll be headed to the Discovery Center next month. Way to go Megan!
"The most important thing is not to win but to take part, just as in life the most important thing is not the triumph but the struggle. The essential thing is not to have conquered but to have fought well." -The Olympic Creed
Saturday, February 20, 2010
Invention Convention
We've spent the past few days in Boise. We had a great time visiting friends and playing with cousins. We also caught a few girls state basketball games. Our real purpose for the trip was the Invention Convention. At Megan's last school she had the most wonderful science teacher, Mrs.Dobbs. Mrs.Dobbs encourages students to invent. She holds an invention convention at the elementary school. Although, Megan goes to a different school, Mrs.Dobbs let her participate because we're in the same school district. The invention convention is optional for students. 15 of those inventions are chosen by judges to go to the regional invention convention at Boise State. There are 5 different invention categories and are group by grades (1st & 2nd together, 3rd & 4th together, etc.). The top three inventions in each category & grade goes to a state invention convention at the Boise Discovery Center. To our surprise Megan's invention was awarded 1st place in the adaptation category! We were all very excited! Megan said after 3rd & 2nd place was announced she didn't think her invention would be chosen. When her name was read she was ecstatic! Instead of trying to explain her invention, I've tried posting a video but I'm having troubles (I'll keep working on it). We were very proud of her. I had to hold back the tears when her name was called. Megan has been blessed with a talent of learning. She really did most of this project on her own. I wish I was as smart as her. We'll be headed to the Discovery Center next month. Way to go Megan!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
i got a little teary myself. i can't imagine how she felt when they called her name. she is an amazing girl. congratulations!!
ReplyDeletewow- congratulations Meg! What a smart girl! That is awesome.
ReplyDeleteI am so proud of her! How great! I am thrilled that you have a budding scientist on your hands! Imagine how she will change the world! The thought gives me chills!
ReplyDeleteTears and more tears!! I had to hold back the tears when she called me from Boise. We are so very proud of you. Good luck with the next round in Boise Meg. Way to Go!
ReplyDelete