Thursday, August 9, 2012

Old becomes New

One of the things I wanted to do this summer was refinish this desk (fun, I know!).My Grandpa DaBell made it years ago and I've been the keeper for a few years.It's in great shape just needed a paint job.I wanted to go bold and bright. Tried the aqua from Megan's room with a little black glaze. Not working for me. Last summer my neighbor painted her house grey with a beautiful yellow door. Since I had the same grey from Porter's room,she let me borrow the yellow. No cost, I'll take it! I (and Brett) like the result much better. Now I have an old desk built by my Grandpa with beautiful new color. Ahhh,feels good to check it off my list!
Original desk. Needs a little help.

First try. It's okay. Don't love it. The black was too much. Don't think I did it right!

Final! It reminds me of a school pencil. I like it!

3 comments:

  1. I love it too!! What a great old desk. It did belong to grandpa and grandma DaBell, but grandpa didn't build it. I don't know where it came from. I'm glad you have it. I think it will be around for a very long time at your house. I think grandpa and grandma would be happy with a few of their belongings belonging to you!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. i need to call you for details!! It looks amazing, Martha:) I've been wanting to redo our sofaback table and matching coffee table, I need advice! Good job and way to be patient, I may have given up after the first try!

    ReplyDelete