Saturday, October 22, 2011

Harvest Blessings

Made salsa with almost everything from our garden.
Finished salsa and raspberry jam. Yummy!
The kids picked pumpkins out of our own garden. They didn't get as big as we'd hoped but still very fun!




For our first time we planted a garden this summer. I took charge and prepared the garden with the best fertilizer around, manure from a neighbors dairy. We tilled, plotted, hoed and planted. Then we weeded, watered and waited. Sure enough little green plants began to pop up. Corn, zucchini, potatoes, green peppers, pumpkins, tomatoes, etc. Our backyard has been a little rough but our garden brought it back to life. Someone in the family checked on the garden almost everyday! We got a few complaints about weeding but for the most part the kids loved it! This fall I've been canning like crazy! We live in an area where a lot of people grow big gardens. We've been given so much on top of what we already have. I feel like I need a potato cellar! So very blessed to have the opportunity to grow food and prepare it for the winter. So many bounteous blessings!

1 comment:

  1. SO PROUD!!!! You are learning the rewards of provident living in so many ways. The lessons your family has learned from growing a garden together is valuable. The canned food is beautiful Steph! Enjoy it all winter!

    ReplyDelete