Like most Saturday mornings I was up and out the door by 6am. I meet up with two girlfriends that are just as crazy as I am. Running in the dark with headlamps in 32 degree weather we were out to put in some miles. We ran past the Twin Falls temple and along the canyon rim. We scared a porcupine from home, heard bird chirping and chatted about movies, kids, and information to personal to share. One friend stopped after 6 miles when we reached her gym. The other friend and I ran back to her house as the sun came up. What a beautiful Saturday morning. We got to her house after 10 miles, then I went on for another 3 miles. While 13 miles sounds like a good distance I should have gone 2-3 more miles. I have a marathon in June. The thing that has bothered me today was a cashier at Fred Meyer. I stopped in after my run to pick up a few things. The friendly cashier noticed my sweaty face, unique watch and layered clothes when she said,"You must have just got done running." I told her I had. She replied, "How long did you run?" "Oh, 13 miles," I said. With a shocked look she innocently said, "Why did you do that?" She took me by surprise. I blurted out, "Just because I always have." I've been thinking about her question all day. Why do I run? Here is my conflict: currently, I have one knee twice the size of the other, I don't loose weight, I don't win races, I wake up really early, and I'm on first name basis with my podiatrist. Yet, I continue to pound the pavement. While I need more time to ponder the cashiers question I have one thought as to why I run.
Because my dad did. I want my kids to say they run because their mom did.

Provo Half Marathon 2009
Since the title of my blog is "Running with the Buckleys", look for more posts about our running experiences. I might have more answers to the cashiers question.
Steph-
ReplyDeletePeople would always ask me why I ran. I asked Paige Durrant if she were doing any Spring sports. She is not. I asked if she were trying to stay in shape. She is not. She said it was "too cold." I told her I ran in a race for 12 miles with the temperature at about -22 degrees. She and some of the other young women around all said "you were crazy." Maybe so. But I still did it until my knees would not let me. I do the whimpy "treadmill" now, but at least I try to exercise. I appreciate your comment about me on your blog. I am very proud of you and keeping in shape by running the distances that you do. I love you very much Stephanie. I am proud of you and your accomplishments in your continuing to run. I really think you need to see an orthopedist though! Just keep it up.
Dad.
Well..i'm the 'boob' of the family. sitting here after my kids are in bed, the house is quiet, I'm exhausted and I needed a good cry. I have the best family ever!!! Thanks for the post steph! It's an on going question..why? do we run??? I've never come up with a good answer when people ask, but now I know what to say..because dad did:) I have soooo many awesome memories of our training days of running out to Lemmons and back. It seemed sosooo long. Now look at us! LOVE YOU ALL!!!
ReplyDelete